Monday, July 28, 2008

The truth about Stuart Cauldwell.

From the beginning of the term, people have been wondering who exactly this Stuart Cauldwell character is. Still curious to know?



At the end of HSKS4, Headmistress Wartbobble posted a list of names that she wanted people to avoid choosing in HSKS5. Both my first name and my surname made the list, so I decided to reinvent myself for the next swap. Thus, Serafina Starfire stepped aside, and I created a new persona: Stuart Cauldwell, erstwhile mischief maker of Ravenclaw Tower.

I thought it would be fun to try to experience knitting through the eyes of a young boy, and even more fun to see how long I could pull off the deception. I know some of you were pretty suspicious (particularly Elanor Cadogan) but I did manage to make the whole swap.

I chose Stuart's name very carefully. Stuart is my father's middle name, and Cauldwell is my best friend's maiden name. Stuart comes from the same part of Scotland that my dad is originally from. I did indeed buy my first home and move into it during the course of the swap, and I did adopt a tiny kitten named Dorian (who is not likely to stay tiny for all that much longer, I don't think). As some of you had asked for photos of both, click here for photos of the house, and here for photos of the kitten. Building all of these pieces of the persona out of reality made it a lot easier to keep track of things, and I had SO much fun thinking up situations for Stuart to get himself into (and out of) all term.

None of this would have been possible without the help of the powers that be: Miss Wartbobble, Neila, and Minee were all instrumental in helping me to keep my identity a secret. Both my spoiler and my spoilee helped to keep the secret too; CGP in particular did an excellent job of playing along.

The real me is 26, female, and an English Lit prof at a small university in northern Ontario. I love knitting, alpacas, tea, reading, sewing, writing, baseball, curling, and loads of other stuff. I am very much a Ravenclaw in pretty much every possible way, thought I do have a side streak of Hufflepuff, too. I usually blog at http://academianuts.blogspot.com, but it's been a little slow lately because of how busy I've been.

Thank you all for reading this far, and I hope you enjoyed Stuart as much as I did. I hope even more you'll have him back next term!

8 comments:

Cassandra Grubbly-Plank said...

I had a great time playing along with the "Stuart" character. You have a great talent for writing. :-)

Neila said...

It was so much fun having you drop into chats and everyone assume you were a wizard. I giggled to myself so often. I thought for sure someone would figure it out, and I was thrilled when no one did. Well done!!! 2 gold stars for you. Glad I could help.

Ronnica said...

Brava, well done!

Emma Wigworthy said...

LOL!! You did very well!

Allitrya Spelling said...

Serafina! I remember you from HSKS4. Well done on keeping the secret! =)

Elanor said...

oh, you are very clever indeed.

Ingrid Ze Insightful said...

Oh, my! I had no idea! You did such a great job with Stu!! :D Thanks as well for sharing your photos of your new house (lovely!!) and kitten! (Great mid-air shot!)

Anonymous said...

Ah ha! So all the mischeif can be traced back to you, can it? ;)