Tuesday, November 18, 2008

spinning 'round and 'round...

For once I am all caught up on my homework (take that, transfiguration!), so I got to actually do something fun last night. I'd almost forgotten what that feels like, especially after our crushing defeat at the hands of Hufflepuff in the weekend Quidditch match. Very sad, really.

Anyhow, one of the school's old students came back yesterday to visit, and she brought so much stuffh with her. I think the Headmistress had told her about how many of us were interested in magical fibre arts, so she packed up all kinds of little samples of different fibres for us to feel. She had quivit, alpaca, different sheep, silk, llama, angora, mohair...all kinds of stuff. It was so neat to feel.

Then she gave each of us a little batt of wool, a piece of yarn, and a simple drop spindle, and we got to practice spinning our own yarn. It was really tricky--mine has a little bit too much twist. It was a lot of fun, though.

She had her spinning wheel there, too, but I didn't want to try it. I am desperately afraid that I will love spinning, and I just don't have time (or money) for it right now. Plus I want to save something for later, you know?

No comments: