Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Great Hall

The thing I probably remember the most about last year is that it took me forever to find my way around the castle. It's quite funny to watch the first years struggle with it this year.

Every time I go through the Great Hall, there's always a whole gaggle of girls milling about, drinking tea and eating snacks. The last time I was down that way, they invited me to stop and chat for a bit. One of the girls makes these pumpkin pasties that are just fantastic--my own mum couldn't make better. (It turns out she's our Head Girl over here in Ravenclaw, and I'm hoping that means more treats!) One of the older girls from Slytherin had brought a keg of Butterbeer. I think it was a lot bigger than what she had imagined, because she had a hard time moving it into the Great Hall. What's a bloke to do then? Help a lady of course. Sure enough, they offered me a pint for my troubles--it certainly can pay to help those as need it. The new House unity initiative the Headmistress has put into place is helping to liven people up a bit. Everyone was quite content to hang around and chat. I don't even know when I've laughed so hard as that--I think it's fair to say I've seen and heard things I never imagined.

The girls are all quite nice, really, so I stop to chat them up a bit every time I find myself down there. Yesterday, when Michael, Euan, and I were out walking after our swimming misadventure, we passed a group of the Slytherin girls in the courtyard. They all turned to each other and giggled, in that way that girls have, and then turned back to us, calling, "Hiiiiiii, Stuart" and then giggling again. You could have knocked Michael and Euan over with a feather! All the way back to Ravenclaw Tower, all I could hear was "How do you know all the girls already?" - "Did you see that redhead smile at me?" - "Did you see the one who smiled at Stuart?" and so forth. I've a feeling that my next walk through the Hall may not be taken alone...

No comments: